ROAD TRIP USA – East to West
Route66, National Parks & California
1 Dream. 2 People. 1 Car. 25 Days. 11 States. 4275 Miles.
After spending three beautiful days in the Windy City, Chicago, we started what is probably considered the world’s greatest road trip. Road 66 – The Mother Road – is the embodiment of the American Dream. When it opened in 1926, the highway became a metaphor for freedom and promoted the belief that anything was possible beyond the horizon.
Route 66 passes through a marvellous cross-section of American scenes, from the cornfields of Illinois all the way to the golden sands and sunshine of Los Angeles, passing by such diverse environs. Whether you are motivated by an interest in history, feel a nostalgic yearning for the “good old days” Route 66 offers an unforgettable journey into America, then and now.
Day 1: London – New York
Day 2: New York – Chicago
Day 2 – 4 (3 days): Chicago. See our 3 Days in Chicago
Day 5: Chicago (IL) to St. Louis (MO)
- Lou Mitchell’s, Gemini Giant, Springfield (IL)
Day 6: St. Louis to Springfield (MO)
- Gateway Arch, Bourbon, Cuba (World’s largest chair), Devil’s Elbow.
Day 7: Springfield (MO) to Oklahoma City (OK)
- Cars on Route (Galena), John Hope Franklin Park, Meadow Gold Sign/Brady Arts District (Tulsa), Pops (Arcadia)
Day 8: Oklahoma City to Tucumcari (NM)
- Tower Station and U-Drop Inn, Cadillac Ranch, Midpoint Cafe (Halfway Route66)
Day 9: Tucumcari to Santa Fe (NM)
Day 10: Santa Fe to Durango (CO)
- Great Sand Dunes N.P.
Day 11-12 (2 days): Durango to Page (AZ)
- Monument Valley + Forrest Gump Point (Mexican Hat)
- Antelope Canyon (Upper) + Horse Shoe Bend
Day 13: Page to Valle (AZ)
- Grand Canyon N.P. (South Rim)
Day 14-15 (2 days): Valle to Las Vegas (NV)
Day 16: Las Vegas to Lonepine (CA)
- Death Valley N.P.
Day 17: Lonepine to Mariposa
- Yosemite N.P.
Day 18-21 (4 days): Mariposa to San Francisco
- Alcatraz Island, Pier 39/Fisherman’s Warf, Union Square, Chinatown
- Lombard Street, Golden Gate Bridge, Baker Beach, Sausalito
- Coit Tower, Golden Gate Park, Haight-Ashbury, Mission District
Day 22-25 (4 days): San Francisco to Los Angeles
- Hollywood Hills, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills/Bel Air (Celebrities Houses)
- Santa Monica, Venice Beach
- Laguna Beach (Orange County)
Bye Bye America!!!
Federales (West Loop, Chicago)
Wildberry Pancakes & Cafe (Downtown, Chicago)
The Shave Duck (St Louis)
Rooster (St Louis)
Jimm’s Steakhouse (Springfield MO)
Pearl’s Crabtown (Oklahoma City)
Pow Wow (Tucumcari)
La Taqueria (Mission St, San Francisco)
Wanderlust Cafe (Hollywood, L.A.)